Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Welcome Back!

I hope you all had a wonderful (and restful) Thanksgiving break!  We are getting right back into the swing of things here in Room 13!

I'd like to remind you of a few upcoming events/deadlines:

* Unit 3 Math Tests need to be signed and returned ASAP.  We still have a few outstanding...

* Field Trip permission forms and checks need to be turned in no later than FRIDAY (Dec. 3). 

* November Reading/Math Fact logs should be turned in tomorrow and/or Thursday.  (I forgot to remind the children today - so they can bring it in on Thursday too!)

* Students will have their +10 Math Fact Quiz NEXT Monday.

* Scholastic Book Orders should be placed (or brought to school) no later than Monday (Dec. 6).  I would like to get the orders in as soon as possible so we get the books BEFORE Winter Vacation.  If you would like to order books as gifts - and you don't want your child to know - please let me know and I will hold on to the books until it is convenient for you to pick them up.  (As opposed to sending them home with students!)  I am more than happy to do this for you - since I think books make great gifts!!


In Social Studies, we are learning all about the Compass Rose.  Students created their own basic compass rose today in class - ask him/her to see it!!  (They came out great!)  From the activity, a discussion about real compasses arose and I promised students that I would provide them with a link that would show/give directions explaining how to make a compass at home.  I'm including that link here:
http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/education/for_fun/MakeyourownCompass.pdf

I hope you have the time (and energy) to try this with your child at home!  It's really neat!

No comments: